Berry and poppyseed cake
125ml vegetable oil or coconut oil
125ml rice syrup
400g almond meal
3tbsp poppy seeds
1/2tsp sea salt
1tsp gluten free baking powder
1/2tsp baking soda
3tbsp chia seeds
300g blueberries or raspberries
**Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.**
1. Combine the chia seeds and water in a bowl, and let sit for 15 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, mix the almond meal, poppy seeds, salt, baking power and baking soda.
3. On a very low heat, warm the oil and rice syrup in a sauce pan until combined.
4. Add the zest from two lemons into the oil and syrup mixture.
5. Squeeze the juice of one and a half lemons into the mixture.
6. Add the mixture to the dry ingredients.
7. Fold in the soaked chia seeds. Add in half the berries and combine.
8. Grease a cake tin and pour in the batter.
9. Bake for about 40-50 minutes or until golden and an inserted skewer comes out dry.
10. Let the cake cool before removing from tin.
11. In a small bowl, combine the dextrose with water, lemon juice and a splash of vanilla extract until a runny but slightly thick consistency, to the taste that you like.
12. While the cake is still warm, make holes with a skewer through the cake, and pour the glaze over the top.
13. Decorate with the fresh berries.
This was even my birthday cake a few weeks ago, because it is so yummy; courtesy of my mum!
It just goes to prove, you can have multiple food intolerances and eat your cake too!