About Me

My photo
I love finding new worlds through writing and reading. I am excited by creating new flavours and tastes in the kitchen. I am fascinated by nutrition and healthy lifestyle choices. I adore my my dog, family and friends.

Friday, December 12, 2014

Glimpse into Foodie Friday - week 50 - pancakes

I love pancakes - who doesn't?! The only problem with pancakes, I feel, is cooking pancakes! I can not do it. Even back in the day, when I used "normal" pancake ingredients, like eggs and wheat flour, I was never any good at it. I am a very patient person, but when it comes to delicious treats, waiting for the pan to be the correct temperature, and knowing the exact time to flip, is obviously not my forte!
However, as I do love a good pancake, I try every now and again, and who knew, but persistence was the key! I developed these grain free, gluten free, egg free, dairy free, low FODMAP pancakes, and they are pretty darn scrummy! Learn from my mistake; be patient and wait til your fry pan is hot!

This seemed like a great addition to our Christmas theme, as no matter what season your Christmas falls in, pancakes are an indulgent and delicious (and healthy, in this case) treat for holiday breakfasts!

Pancakes (serves 2)


1/2 cup almond meal
1/3 cup green banana flour (or coconut flour if you can not find banana flour)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground ginger or cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1 banana, mashed
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 egg/gelatin egg/chia seed egg/flax egg

Optional add ins:

1/2 tablespoon cocao
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 - 5 tablespoons berries
1 - 3 tablespoon chopped dark chocolate
1/8 teaspoon peppermint essence
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon mint leaves, chopped

Combine the dry ingredients well.
Combine the wet ingredients well.
Mix together well.
In a hot pan, heat 1-2 tablespoon coconut oil.
Dollop  spoonfuls of mixture into the pan.
Fry pancakes til they are starting to bubble and brown, and flip.
Serve with fruit, maple syrup, banana ice cream, or bacon.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Let me know if you try them, Dean! I hope you enjoy them if you do. Guilt free pancakes...win win!!

      Delete