About Me

My photo
I love finding new worlds through writing and reading. I am excited by creating new flavours and tastes in the kitchen. I am fascinated by nutrition and healthy lifestyle choices. I adore my my dog, family and friends.

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Glimpse into May to December 2011


The second half of 2011 was spent enjoying being in Brisbane. I tried to get fit, but my body was causing me grief and eventually I had to give up on any routine exercise. Work was good, but as health issues got more intense, my ability to improve my work-self decreased. Daniel continued to work away from home. We enjoyed a quiet family Christmas, and ended the year with friends.



In March, a gastroenterologist had been the first person to suggest I had fructose malabsorption. After months of gruelling elimination diets, multiple dietician and doctor visits and tests, it was confirmed. It has been an endless game of trial and error, testing which foods I am most sensitive to (basically all foods bar meat and seafood have some level of fructose), which foods I can tolerate in small amounts and which I can eat freely. The latter are few and far between!! Towards the end of the year, more tests revealed that not only do I lack the ability to absorb fructose (which brings along with it sensitivity to polyols and fructans), I also am intolerant to wheat, dairy, eggs, rye, peanuts. This raises a big question. What CAN I eat?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment