About Me

My photo
I love finding new worlds through writing and reading. I am excited by creating new flavours and tastes in the kitchen. I am fascinated by nutrition and healthy lifestyle choices. I adore my my dog, family and friends.

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Glimpse into gluten free & vegan fruity waffles

On the weekend, I treated myself to a waffle machine (and a dehydrator...posts on that to come!). I could probably count on one hand the times that I ate waffles before I had to restrict my diet, however, the idea of creating something yummy, crunchy on the outside and soft inside, and a winter meal change from my usual delicious quinoa porridge, made me excited to get my hands on a waffle iron and create! I sieved through multiple recipes and came up with a combination of ingredients which I can tolerate, and what I had in the kitchen. This is what resulted! (And I had to make them again this morning; they were so good!).
 

Fruity Waffles 

3/4 cup milk (your choice; I have used coconut milk, and rice milk. Coconut milk added a nice thickness and flavour) - unsweetened
1 teaspoon white or apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons flaxseed meal (soaked in 6 tablespoons water for 10 mins)
2 tablespoons melted dairy free butter or coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of fresh lime/lemon/orange juice
Zest of 1 small lime/lemon/orange
1 tablespoon rice syrup
 
1/4 cup gluten free plain flour
3/4 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup almond meal
Pinch of sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon dextrose
1 teaspoon cinnamon 
 
1 cup of fruit (for example, fresh or frozen blueberries, chopped strawberries, raspberries, sliced banana etc)
  1. Preheat your waffle machine as per directions.
  2. Combine the flaxseed meal and water in a small bowl, stir and set aside to soak.
  3. Combine the milk and vinegar in a separate bowl, and set aside to curdle.
  4. Mix together the melted butter, vanilla extract, juice, zest, syrup and whisk. Add in the milk/vinegar, and the flaxseed/water mixtures.
  5. Place all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix well.
  6. Add in the wet mixture, and stir well.
  7. Fold in the fruit.
  8. Your batter should be wet but thick. If it is too thin and runny, add more gluten free flour. If it is too thick and stiff, add some water, til the batter spreads evenly on the waffle iron.
  9. Coat the waffle machine with oil spray or dairy free butter, and pour the directed amount of batter into the machine and cook as per instructions for your model.
  10. They are best eaten straight away! (Before anyone else comes and swipes the first fresh, warm waffle while you cook the next!).
Be creative with your toppings! I covered mine with rice syrup, strawberries and banana. You could try nut butters, dairy free butter, maple syrup, or whatever takes your fancy!
 
Waffles keep well in the freezer, so if you don't eat them all up (this is proving to be a hard task!), you can put some away for a quick breakfast later; just toast them under the grill!
 


Enjoying my waffles while catching up on Game of Thrones...



1 comment:

  1. Gembles, this is a video of a talk I attended and I think you would find it interesting, educational and most certainly entertaining. Give it 5 minutes and you will be hooked!

    Combating Common Diseases With Plants
    http://www.care2.com/greenliving/combating-common-diseases-with-plants.html

    Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete